Sunday 5 August 2012

Chapter 26: Meeting Walter



This story tells of the Slade family legacy; it began when Adam Slade arrived in Sunset Valley to start a new life.  However, his granddaughter Cleo has just discovered that her family's story did not start in Sunset Valley at all, but rather in Twinbrook and that the actions of her great grandmother, Wanda, were going to have repercussions for years, for generations, afterwards.

In this chapter two families meet for the first time and events are set in motion ...



Adam was up early, as usual, his homework already done so he had time to water and tend his little vegetable plot before going to school. There was something very rewarding about seeing his plants grow and develop, eventually producing a tasty harvest.

So, with his garden tended, Adam went back into their small home to get dressed and ready for school.

Rather surprisingly Wanda was already up and about.


"Adam dear," Wanda spoke softly to her son, "I have to meet someone in town for Sinbad."

"Sinbad?"

"Oh Adam, I told you about Sinbad, he's given me this job where I get to meet and interview all these rich and powerful people and today is my first day."

"Okaaayy." Adam wondered if this was just another hustler playing his mum, again.


Sensing the doubt in Adam's voice, Wanda was quick to reassure him, "Come on Adam, this could be our big break, I'm gonna meet this guy today who's doing some really big business deals and we'll get a cut of the profits."

"Okay mum, if you say so. Anyway, you look really nice so he's bound to be impressed."

"Aww, thank you sweetie, now, you have a good day at school and I'll see you this evening." With a quick kiss and pinch of his cheek Wanda hurried out to a waiting taxi, leaving Adam to wait for the school bus to arrive.


Before he left for school, though, he gave his trusty companion, Sandy, instructions to guard his valuable garden plot.

There was one particularly annoying aspect of life on Bayou Gulch as far as Adam was concerned; in this part of town wild animals, rabbits, raccoons and even deer abounded and they loved taking their meals direct from his garden.

But, with Sandy standing guard he had significantly reduced the loss of plants. Always eager to please his master Sandy seemed to enjoy the responsibility entrusted to him.


But, he was still just a dog, and wasn't very good at keeping his mind on one task for very long, so in between stints watching out for those 'vegetable eating vermin', he would be snuffling around looking for interesting things to dig up and present to his master.

-- * --

Wanda's taxi took her to Puddlewick Drive from where she walked the short distance to Earl's Bridge Road, and within a few minutes she saw a face she recognised approaching.


"Excuse me" Wanda intercepted the man, "I appear to be a little lost, I wonder if you could direct me?"

"Why, certainly miss, where are you headed?"

"Well, I'm new to Twinbrook and thought I would go for an early morning stroll around town and I've completely lost track of where I am, if I can just get back to the centre I'll be fine."

"Ahh, yes, if you're not careful you could follow these avenues for miles out of town, thankfully I imagine you have just taken a few too many turns, you're not that far from town at all."


"That's a relief!" Wanda smiled, "as you can see I'm not really prepared for a trek!"

"Indeed not. I could call a taxi for you, but you're not more than twenty minutes walk from Central Park ..."

"Oh, that is excellent, thank you. It is a beautiful day so I think I will continue my walk."

"A splendid plan," the handsome gentleman agreed, "It is not a complex route at all but let me draw you a simple map, I always forget directions so quickly."

Reaching into his pocket to withdraw a slip of pre-printed paper, the man began sketching the line of roads and junctions that would take Wanda back to the town centre.

"If I may be so bold," he asked, "what brings you to our small town?"

"I'm visiting a friend and while they are at work, I thought I would explore."


"Ahh, I see, Twinbrook is not what you might call a tourist destination, but we do have a very pleasant town centre and many lovely parks and even the swamplands are worth a visit if you are interested in native flora and fauna."

"I know," Wanda agreed, "it is very pretty and these big old houses are so lovely."

"Indeed they are, there is quite some history to the town and, if you are interested, the library has many fascinating documents about the people who built this town on the swamps."


Wanda looked quickly at the map he had drawn for her and noticed the name printed on the paper; "Thank you, I'm sure this will get me back safely, Mr Fisk."

"Walter, Walter Fisk, at your service ma'am, I'm pleased to have been able to help you, and I hope you enjoy the rest of your stay in Twinbrook."

"Thank you Walter, you have been most kind, and should we meet again I hope I will be able to return the favour."

With a courteous handshake, they parted company, Wanda heading back to Puddlewick Drive as if to walk back to the centre of town.

Walking, however, was not Wanda's style so, as soon as she was out of sight, she hailed a taxi to take her to one of her favourite bars on the esplanade.

It was a quiet afternoon, there weren't many other customers there to buy her drinks or take up a challenge on one of the games machine so she rang Sinbad to update him on her meeting with Walter Fisk.

"Hi, Sinbad, it's Wanda. I met up with Fisk this morning. Just to introduce myself, so he will know who I am next time."

"OK, that's good. Now, what day is it? Thursday. Right, this should be in the notes I gave you, he usually visits the Red Rendezvous after work on Thursday. Why don't you put on your best frock and I'll meet you there at about five thirty."

"OK, I'll see you there, it's a date." Wanda giggled and ended the call.

That was still a few hours away, so Wanda stayed in the bar, treating herself to a couple more cheap cocktails by way of celebrating her success so far, and to relax herself for whatever the evening might hold.

-- * --

As the time for her meeting with Sinbad approached Wanda returned home to Bayou Gulch to quickly freshen up and put on her prettiest new dress, a fashionable floral number that exuded modern sophistication. A simple outfit that would, nonetheless, make an excellent impression on anyone.

Half an hour later she was in the Red Rendezvous waiting for Sinbad.


"Hey, looking good girl!" A good start, Sinbad liked her outfit.

"So, tell me," he continued, "what happened this morning?"

"I just 'arranged' to bump into him, just a friendly chat like. I pretended I was a lost tourist. I reckon now he's met me once it'll be easier to get ... friendlier." Wanda smiled; she reckoned she wouldn't mind getting a bit 'friendly' with this wealthy businessman.


"Alright, that's fine," Sinbad accepted her report, "we need you to move it on a bit though, soon as. Now, he should be here in the next half-hour or so; normally for just a couple of beers but I know you could charm him into staying a bit longer and work your magic on him."

Confident in her ability to charm any man she wanted, Wanda was in no doubt that she could entertain Walter Fisk all night if she wanted to. "Oh yeah, no problem, and this is an ideal place too."


As if on cue, earlier than expected, Walter Fisk entered the bar.

Not wishing to be seen with Wanda Sinbad just nodded to his new recruit and mouthed to her "OK doll, he's all yours, good luck." and disappeared into the early evening Twinbrook traffic.

Being a frequent visitor to the Red Rendezvous, Fisk's arrival was quickly noted and he was instantly the focus of attention from the other regulars at the bar, so he didn't notice the young woman who had stopped him earlier in the day.

As he settled into his usual spot at the bar to order his first drink, Wanda moved to position herself alongside him.

"Mr Fisk. What a pleasant surprise to see you again."

He had to think a second, before he recognised the woman who had just addressed him.

"Ahh, well, hello again. I see that you made it safely back then. What a coincidence that I should bump into you twice on the same day."

"Yes, isn't it," Wanda agreed, "but as we have let me pay for that drink; for your kindness this morning."

"Oh no my dear, I couldn't possibly, after all I was only doing what any gentleman would have done."

"No, really,  insist, I could have walked miles out of my way and ended up who knows where, it's the least I can do."

Gentleman that he was, Walter Fisk relented, allowing Wanda to pay for his first beer. "Very well then, as you insist, but who should I thank, I don't believe I got your name earlier?"


“Wanda, Wanda Phoenix.”

“I’m pleased, once again, to make your acquaintance Ms Phoenix and, please, call me Walter.”

“Thank you Walter and, likewise, please call me Wanda.”

“So, Wanda,” Walter enquired, “what is a lovely lady like you doing in a bar on their own?”

“Well, I was going to have a night out with my girl friend but she had to go back into work for some emergency.”

“My, what an unlucky day you have had, first getting lost and now being abandoned.”

“It’s OK really,” Wanda tried to sound positive, “I quite like to meet new people and, today, I have met you, one of the true gentlemen of Twinbrook. So, not an unlucky day at all.”

“Hah, I admire your positive attitude Ms Phoenix, sorry, Wanda. And I really cannot let you spend this evening alone, so please join me for a drink or two and tell me all about yourself.”

The next couple of hours passed quickly, one drink turned into two, turned into four as Wanda charmed Walter with tales of her mundane life in Riverview and of her friends and family there and the (imaginary) friend she was staying with here in Twinbrook.

For his part, Walter told Wanda about his doting wife Anna and his young son Lewis. He didn’t want to talk much about his business, “oh, it’s dull stuff but I have been lucky enough to have success enough to afford a good home and a comfortable life for Anna and my son.”

As the evening wore on, the lights within the bar were dimmed and a DJ started playing and a few of the other customers moved onto the small dance floor.


"Oh, I love this song!" Wanda exclaimed as a classic tune from the legendary band Spirit of Dorsai started playing. "I just have to dance whenever I hear it. Walter, will you dance with me?"

Walter shook his head, smiling at the absurdity of the idea, "Oh no, I don't think so, I'm too old for, really not my thing ..."

"Nonsense!" Wanda stopped him, "you're never too old to dance, and I bet you're a pretty good mover."

"Well, in my youth ..."

"There you are! You just need to get into the rhythm and let the music take over."

Truth be told, Walter was quite the demon on the dance floor in his youth, he'd quickly picked up on the fact that girls loved dancing ... and loved a boy who would dance with them. He remembered how he and Anna had spent many a joyful afternoon at the old Palais Royale Ballroom.

He conceded defeat, "Very well, let us see which of us has 'the rhythm' tonight!"

-- * --


While Wanda was enjoying an evening of drinks and dancing, back on Bayou Gulch Adam had returned home; to prepare his own meal and complete his homework – always under the watchful eye of his best pal, Sandy.



Once he had finished his school assignments and the remaining household chores it was time for Adam and Sandy to have some fun.






Just goofing around Sandy seemed to have endless energy and enthusiasm for whatever game they played but there was no doubt that, most of all, he loved being taken out on walks along the lanes and tracks of the swamplands to hunt out little treasures.


-- * --

Once they had hit the dance floor Wanda and Walter quickly lost all track of time and when they eventually stopped they realised that it was getting late. Walter, particularly, was in town much later that normal and although he would sometimes work late he always kept his wife informed.

“My goodness Wanda, is that the time? All this fun, I’ve quite lost track of time, what will my wife say!”

Wanda was immediately apologetic. “Oh, I’m sorry Walter, I hope I haven’t got you into too much trouble.”

“No, no, its fine, it’s just that I normally warn Anna if I am going to be late.” Walter paused and his face settled into a thoughtful frown. “Are you hungry Wanda? I fear that your plans for the evening have been forgotten, as well as mine. Now, I can’t expect Anna to prepare a meal for me this late, so would you like to join me for a light meal at the bistro?”

“Well, all that dancing has made me a bit peckish, and the bistro sounds ideal, thank you.”

“Excellent! I will just call Anna to let her know that everything is OK and that I am enjoying an evening in town with a friend.”


Phone call completed, they made their way to The Little Corsican Bistro, one of the most popular restaurants in Twinbrook. The food was simple but always beautifully prepared and it was in a great location overlooking the Central Park.

In the warm evening air, it was the perfect spot for an intimate alfresco meal.

The pair continue to chat throughout their meal.  Wanda was an expert listener and always found something appreciative to say when Walter described his various passions and interests.


Wanda Phoenix agreed that family is just about the most important part of any person's life and orderliness was essential to keep ones goals and ambitions in focus.  By the end of the meal Wanda Slade had managed to transform herself into very nearly the  ideal woman for a man like Walter.  If she had given it any thought Wanda would have been mightily impressed with her interpersonal skills.



The meal over, it was time to part company.

"Walter, thank you for a wonderful evening, I don't think I've had so much fun in ages."

"It has been my pleasure, I have enjoyed your company immensely, and thank you for the getting me on the dance floor again.  I had quite forgotten how much I loved it."

"I could tell," Wanda laughed, "and I hope we can do it again sometime."

"I would like that very much."



Chapter 27: We Meet Again







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh. Wanda, Cleo's great grandmother, getting into trouble. I can't help but wonder what happened and how it's related to Garret that made him want to hurt Cleo and her family. Loving the story!

AjaxPost Plays said...

Thank you! :-)

Yes, Wanda is at the heart of this ... whether she knows it or not. The pieces will finally fall into place in the next couple of chapters so it won't be too long until we can get back to Cleo and the repercussions for her family - hint: it won't be good! ;-)

Post a Comment