Sunday 5 August 2012

Chapter 27: We Meet Again



This is the story of the Slade family legacy; it began when Adam Slade arrived in Sunset Valley to start a new life.  However, his granddaughter Cleo has discovered that their story did not start in Sunset Valley after all, but rather in Twinbrook with her great grandmother, Wanda.

In this chapter Walter makes a fateful decision  ...


After her successful night charming Walter Fisk, Wanda was keen to secure her relationship with him and get the information about his business activities that Sinbad's clients needed.

Referring to the information that Sinbad had provided, Wanda identified her next opportunity to charm the handsome Mr Fisk.

Early every Saturday and Sunday morning he would jog along the river bank and Wanda knew the perfect spot at which to 'accidently' meet him again.


Walter had crossed the Jebidiah Blackmore Bridge and was heading into the Riverside Junction park when he spotted a familiar face.


"Ms Phoenix, Wanda, what a pleasure to see you again."

"Likewise," she replied, "and I didn't think this park could get any more handsome!"


"You make a grown man blush!" he laughed. "You must excuse me being a little breathless; I am on my morning run. So, what brings you to the park on this fine morning?"

"It's such a lovely spot, with the beach and the river, even so close to town it is so peaceful, especially in the mornings."

"Very true," Walter agreed, "it is probably one of my favourite spots in all of Twinbrook."

"Look, I mustn't stop you on your run ..."

"No, no, I am over halfway round now I think I deserve a short break, especially in such lovely company ..."

Wanda averted her gaze, as if in embarrassment, "Oh stop it! Now you'll make me blush!"


The pair continued to chat, Wanda expressing, and for once truthfully, her interest in athletics and fitness. Wishing that she had known Walter took these runs, that she might have joined him.

As a few more visitors and tourists entered the park, the two shared stories, giggling about their mishaps in training. For anyone who noticed them it looked as if they were two old friends catching up, such was the easy intimacy that they had.


And then Wanda dropped her little bombshell.

"Y'know Walter I am so going to miss you. This is my last day in Twinbrook, I leave tomorrow afternoon, back to Riverview."


Reaching out to hold her hands; "So soon?" Walter sounded genuinely shocked, "I've really enjoyed spending time with and, as short a time as it has been, I do think I will miss you."

"I know, I came to see my friend and ending up meeting the most charming gentleman, I don't think I've ever met anyone quite like you." Wanda locked her gaze on Walter, "If only I had met you earlier ..." she paused, "you have been so kind to me."

This is it, she thought to herself, this is the moment the deal is sealed or broken. She saw the sadness in his face and reckoned her chances were pretty good.

She leant in closer, they kissed.


Sold! He didn't pull back, he didn't push her away, Walter was as much a part of this 'special moment' as Wanda wanted him to think she was.


"I can't let you go without a proper goodbye." Walter said as he pulled out of their kiss. "Dinner, tonight, I insist. Unless, of course, you have anything else planned ..."


"No I have no plans, so yes; I think I will, that would be wonderful. Thank you Walter."

"Excellent! Shall I pick you up?"

"Oh no, there's no need for that, thank you. I will meet you there."

"If you’re sure, shall we say eight, at the Little Corsican?"

"Yes, perfect, I'm looking forward to it already." Wanda smiled at him, squeezing his hand.

"Well," Walter said, breaking the moment, "I really must get back on track and finish this run!"


Walter left the park with a new spring in his step; he could hardly believe how quickly he had fallen for this lovely young woman.


Wanda returned home to find Adam watching some documentary on their ancient television, she really didn't understand why her boy was so 'serious', he certainly didn't get it from her.

"Oh, hi honey. Will you be OK tonight, I'll be out late, I might not be back before you go to bed."

Not diverting his attention from the TV, "Sure ma, we'll be OK, you just enjoy yourself."


-- * --


As Wanda and Walter made their way back to their respective homes, someone else was checking the results of their morning at River Junction Park ...




Chapter 28: Room 223







No comments:

Post a Comment